So, How much DOES it cost to enter a small business award?
You’ve thought about entering a local business award to get your brand out there and get some brill PR – but have you thought about the cost?
You may or may not know that I recently entered myself for an award recently. It was for the Association of Scottish Business Women, and I entered myself for the Innovative Business Startup Under 1 Year – that’s a mouthful right!?
During the night I had a conversation with the girl sitting next to me – she had no idea that her mum had bought her a ticket so she could attend with her that night – she was shocked that we had to buy a ticket to attend – even when you’re a finalist!
So, How much does it cost to enter a small business award?
I was fairly short sighted in terms of how much it was actually gonna cost me – hindsight is a wonderful thing! I had a proper eye-roll moment at myself when I added up the cost!
- Train to the initial interview with judges in Edinburgh – £46.60
- Outfit for awards – I’ve put on weight since I started working from home – it had to be done! £129.00
- 2 x tickets for the award dinner – I took my hubby – £147.06
- Train to awards dinner in Glasgow – £56.40
- Accommodation – by the time it was finished there is no way we would have made the last train home – £179.00
- TOTAL COST: £558.06 (about $742)
Remember this doesn’t include the time off that I took for two days away from my business, it also isn’t a large ceremony based down in London or beyond – so it was fairly local to me – only an hour or so away.
That’s quite steep right? For a small business and soletrader?
P.S. I’m in the middle of the photo above – YES – I AM THAT SHORT! Congrats to URBN fitness for winning in our category (Left of me). Photo: Caroline Trotter Photography.
Want to learn how to increase your brand visibility without an awards ceremony? Find out here: 9 easy brand strategy steps to help increase your visibility
More tips? 5 tips to speed up your brand evolution